Missed Chances Cost Tigers the Points

Balmain were left ruing a disallowed goal and a couple of shots that hit the bar after they conceded a late equaliser in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Gazy Lansvale. A closely contested first half saw few chances created at either end, with the exception of Jake Flower’s early cross which Steve Lewis headed into the top corner. Unfortunately Lewis had to stop celebrating mid cartwheel after noticing that the assistant had raised his flag in a dubious offside call. The scores remained 0-0 at the break, but Balmain opened the scoring early in the second period when Henrik Andersson’s shot deflected off Julian Bracewell’s foot past the Lansvale keeper. Bracewell then produced a couple of headers which hit the cross bar as well as another that was cleared off the line by a desperate Lansvale defender. Lewis also went close with a stinging volley that only missed by inches with the keeper well beaten. With less than five minutes to go Balmain were given a warning when keeper Justin Delaney made his first real save of the match, flicking a shot over the bar with his foot. Alas the waring was not heeded and with the game all but over, a Lansvale player was allowed a free header at the far post, and he powered it into the top corner to salvage a point for the home team.

Balmain reserves achieved a comfortable 3-1 victory against an opposition determined not to suffer a repeat of the colossal 18-2 margin between the teams when they last met at Birchgrove. Dylan Zammit gave the Tigers the lead after he ran into the box on the end of a couple of crafty one-twos at the edge of the area and smashed the ball into the corner of the net. The Tigers then conceded their customary goal a game when a Lansvale player ran from half way and hit a screamer into the top corner from about 30 yards out. The Tigers proceeded to dominate the second half leaving keeper Matt Mulhall with nothing to do except try to fend off a Lansvale attacker who attempted to start a fight while the ball was up the other end of the field. Zammit scored his second for the day when he volleyed in a cross from Honza Capek, and Steele Bonus reacted quickest to fire in a goal from a narrow angle after Tony Mersaides’ cross appeared to have been handled by a defender. Balmain had a couple of blatant late penalty calls turned down as one or two Lansvale players lost the plot. This forced the Tigers to finish the game with 10 men as Zammit had to be carried from the field in agony after having his right leg almost kicked off at the knee. Fortunately the leg transplant has been a success and he should be right in a week or two.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *